Nontypical Turkey - Modern Firearm Record

1. Wayne June 103-8/16 2008

It was May 3rd, 2008; it started just like any other day of turkey hunting. I arrived at the farm at 5:30am and began the long walk to the spot I wanted to hunt. It was a fairly windy day but I could hear the toms gobbling off the roost already. Around 6am I got to the spot I wanted to set-up and I could see that the toms were on the ground now.

Once I was all set-up, I started calling and got a response right away. In fact, they even started moving my direction. It was almost coming together too well. I called again and got another response. They seemed to be really fired up and still closing the distance pretty quickly. The birds were now about 100 yards away so I decided to sit quietly and let them approach.

The next thing I knew, for no apparent reason, the birds turned around and started heading in the opposite direction! Knowing that I needed to get their attention again, I called to them and they answered but kept going in their direction of travel. I called once more and again I was greeted with a response but they continued heading away from me until they disappeared out of sight completely. They were still answering my calls although the sound was getting farther and farther away.

I had just gone from feeling like this hunt was in the bag to complete and utter dejection. Not wanting to give up, I sat in that spot for an hour and kept calling to them until finally they got out of hearing range. It was still really windy so I knew that though I could barely hear them, they really weren’t too far away; it was just the wind making it hard to hear.

I decided to follow them and see if I could cut the distance down so I walked about 40 yards and stopped to call and listen. I did this several times with no response but as I crept along through the bush that they disappeared into, I got within 75 yards of the corn field on the other side and called. Within seconds I had two toms running towards me! As they approached they would stop and gobble. I kept calling until they walked right in to 15 yards and I took the first bird that presented a shot.

After the flopping and wing flapping was over, I walked over and picked up the beard and it wasn’t until then that I realized my tom had multiple beards! I took him to Tim Steen of Tim’s Taxidermy and had him do a full body mount so I will have something to remember this hunt by forever.


the big game records of ontario sixth edition
available now!

More Info »


Upcoming Big Buck Shows

Bring your trophy out to a Big Buck Show to be scored by Official Measurers

More Info »

Email Newsletter!


order your big game certificate or scoresheet plaque today!

More Info »

Ontario monster whitetails magazine

Ontario's leading source for educational, entertaining and simply amazing stories about Ontario deer hunting.Devoted to reaching out to the grassroots hunting community with detailed stories and pictures of how hunters around the province are successful in harvesting Ontario's biggest bucks.

Visit for more info »